Potential challenges arising from injuries you sustained after an accident could be overwhelming. The Law Offices of J. Price McNamara comprehends the financial, legal and medical issues that come with severe injuries. Carencro personal injury lawyer working alongside you can aid in protecting your rights and assist in obtaining the compensation you deserve.
Deserving Just Compensation for Your Injuries
When determining your eligible compensation, various factors enter into play, which makes each personal injury case unique. A Carencro personal injury lawyer will scrutinize your case, evaluate what injuries, facts and circumstances qualifies for a personal injury claim and determine whether your have a feasible claim.
Regardless of the type of injury you incurred, concern of your current and future expenses may cause you stress. Your Carencro personal injury lawyer can assist you in recovering different types of monetary compensation, also known as “damages,” like:
- Past, present and future medical expenses
- Past, present and future loss of income
- Pain and suffering
Negligence Causing Injuries
Every person has an obligation to act in a safe manner so as not to cause injury to others, known as “duty of care.” Negligence occurs when a person breaches, or fails, this duty of care. If someone’s negligence resulted in your injuries, you may be able to recover damages.
Injuries From Motor Vehicle Accidents
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the highest types of personal injury claims, which do come with legal challenges:
- Who is at fault for the accident?
- Did that person’s negligence cause your injury?
A Carencro personal injury lawyer notes that even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you may still be entitled to recovery. However, your damages will be reduced by your fault percentage. As a passenger of a vehicle, you can file a claim against the other drivers and your driver’s insurance company. Although, getting any insurance company to pay may also be a challenge.
Injuries From Work-Related Accidents
Employers may cause your work-related injuries if they are negligent in their duty to provide a safe work environment for their employees. To ensure the work environment is safe, your employer may have an obligation to provide, for example:
- Safety equipment in areas where employees may be handling dangerous equipment or chemicals
- Hard hats in areas where the use of hard hats is appropriate
Other work-related injuries may occur as a result of slip and fall accidents:
- A platform was not secured by a railing or banister
- Liquid on the floor was not timely cleaned and there were place warning signs
If you were injured in a work-related accident, a Zachary personal injury lawyer can help you file a Workers’ Compensation claim.
Injuries From Slip and Fall Accidents
Property owners owe a duty of care to others on their property. Owners have an obligation to be aware of, and either fix or provide proper warnings of, potential hazards on their property that could cause injuries to others. You may be entitled to recover damages if:
- The property owner knew of the hazard or danger but did nothing about it.
- The property owner denies any knowledge of the hazard or danger but someone similarly situated would have known of it.
Injuries From Medical Malpractice
If you suffered injury due to medical professional incompetence or unreasonable medical care, you may have a medical malpractice claim. Medical malpractice may occur in one of three ways:
1) Lack of Informed Consent
Lack of informed consent exists if your medical professional:
- Did not fully inform you of the benefits and risks of a certain medical procedure, or
- Performed a procedure on you against your wishes.
2) Mistakes in Treatment
There was a mistake in treatment if:
- The medical professional made a mistake in the treatment of your condition; and,
- A reasonable, competent medical professional would not have made the mistake in treatment.
3) Improper Diagnosis
There was an improper diagnosis if:
- The diagnosis was improperly made; and,
- A reasonable, competent doctor with the same information would not have made the same mistake and would have made the correct diagnosis.
Your Carencro personal injury lawyer will retain the appropriate medical expert who will evaluate your case and offer an expert opinion to support your claim.
Louisiana will hold a person strictly liable for injuries even if the person was not negligent, but only in very specific, statutory situations.
Injuries From a Dog Bite
In Louisiana, dog owners are held strictly liable for injuries to a person or property caused by the owner’s dog if:
- The dog owner could have prevented the injury; and,
- The injury was not a result of your provocation of the dog.
The location of where the injury occurred – your property, the owner’s property, or public property – is irrelevant.
Injuries From Product Liability Accidents
Manufacturers could have strict liability for your damages if their unreasonably dangerous product used in a reasonably anticipated matter caused your injury. A product is unreasonably dangerous:
- In design;
- In the manufacturing, construction or composition process;
- From failing to provide adequate warnings; or,
- Nonconformity to the manufacturer’s express warranty.
Examples include: pharmaceuticals, playground equipment, or faulty airbags or brakes,
Contact a Carencro Personal Injury Lawyer
You don’t have to battle the financial and legal issues alone. Call the Law Offices of J. Price McNamara to speak to a Carencro personal injury lawyer to help with your claim. A Carencro personal injury lawyer forewarns that you have a year from the date of your accident/injury, or discovery that a defective product caused your injury, to file your claim or you waive your rights to obtain compensation.