In the unfortunate event that you are injured, a Hammond personal injury lawyer could help. An experience attorney comprehends that personal injury cases demand immediate action by a team of tenacious and knowledgeable legal professionals so you could receive the compensation you deserve. Experienced personal injury lawyer, J. Price McNamara can help you get the compensation you need.
Obtaining the Compensation You Deserve
When determining your eligible compensation, a Hammond personal injury lawyer will consider a variety of factors. These may include the facts and circumstances surrounding the accident, the severity of your injuries, and your economic and non-economic damages.
Economic and Non-Economic Damages
Your Hammond personal injury lawyer will work hard to help you recover the monetary compensation, called damages, you deserve.
Objectively verifiable monetary losses, called economic damages, may include:
- Past and future lost wages and/or medical expenses
- Out-of-pocket costs and expenses
- Economic value of domestic services
Subjective, non-monetary losses, called non-economic damages, may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium, society and/or companionship
Injuries Caused By Negligence
A person is negligent when they fail in their obligation or duty to act with proper care or in a safe manner to not cause injury to other people. You may be entitled to recover damages if a person’s negligent conduct caused your injury.
Injuries from Car Accidents
Car accidents commonly result in injuries. One challenge you may face is determining who caused the accident. This is especially true if multiple people’s conduct contributed to the accident. However, even if you are partially at fault, Louisiana allows you to recover damages, although your compensation will be decreased by the percentage of your fault.
Another challenge you may face in your claim is determining from whom you may collect compensation. For example, as a passenger, you are entitled to compensation from not only the other parties involved in the accident, but also from the driver of your vehicle. A qualified Hammond personal injury lawyer can help you get all the compensation your case deserves.
Injuries from Work Accidents
Injuries at work may be caused by your employer’s failure to provide its employees with a safe work environment. For example, an employer’s has to duty to provide:
- Hard hats in locations were it is appropriate for hard hats
- Proper safety equipment and gear where employees handle dangerous equipment or hazardous chemicals
- Railing or banister securely attached to a stairway or platform
- Removal of snow and ice in parking lots and sidewalks or warning signs for wet floors
You generally file a Workers’ Compensation claim if you were injured at work. For more information or to receive a free case evaluation, contact the Law Offices of J. Price McNamara.
Slip and Fall Injuries
Property owners also have a duty to others on their property. They must to be conscious of any dangers on their property. Property owners must also remedy any dangers or provide proper warning signs. Owners are held responsible for your injuries if they:
- Knew of the danger and did nothing to improve the situation;
- Denied knowledge of the danger but should have known of it; or
- Failed to provide proper warnings or remove the danger.
Medical Malpractice Injuries
A medical malpractice claim may arise if your medical professional’s incompetence or unreasonable medical care caused you injury. Three factors determine if you have a viable medical malpractice claim:
1) Mistakes In Treatment
Your Hammond personal injury lawyer can show a mistake in treatment if:
- Your medical professional made a mistake while treating your condition, and
- A reasonably, competent medical professional would not have made that mistake.
2) Improper Diagnosed
Your Hammond personal injury lawyer can show improper diagnosis if:
- Your medical professional improperly diagnosed you; and,
- With the same information, a reasonably, competent doctor would not have improperly diagnosed you and would have correctly diagnosed you.
3) Lack of Informed Consent
Your Hammond personal injury lawyer can show a lack of informed consent if your medical professional:
- Failed to fully inform you of all the benefits and risks of your medical procedure; or,
- Performed the medical procedure contrary to your wishes.
There are statutory situations where Louisiana holds a person, even if that person was not negligent, strictly liable for your injuries. Two of these most common examples are animal attacks and defective manufactured prodcuts.
A Dog Caused Your Injuries
Dog owners are held strictly liable for injuries caused by their dog, including from dog mauling or bites, if:
- They could have prevented your injury; and,
- You did not provoke the dog, resulting in your injury.
Defective Products Caused Your Injury
If you were injured by an unreasonably dangerous product that you used in a reasonably anticipated manner, the manufacturer could be held strict liability for your injuries. The product is unreasonably defective, and therefore defective, if the product:
- Was not manufactured or constructed in accordance to its design or specification;
- Was inherently dangerous from its blueprint, design or specifications;
- Lacked adequate warnings or labels of the product’s dangers; or
- Did not conform to the manufacturer’s express warranty.
Call an Experienced Hammond Personal Injury Lawyer
Seek a seasoned Hammond personal injury lawyer with the Law Offices of J. Price McNamara if you were injured in an accident. You have one year from the date of your accident/injury, or from the date of discovery that a defective product caused your injury, to file a lawsuit. Don’t wait until it’s too late. Call our offices at (225) 361-8451 to receive a free case evaluation.